Monday 29 July 2013

VIM Editor for productive programmer

If you are in linux world and do some basic hacks, the command line you will have by default will be Vi .

Vi Screen Shoot
Vi Editor
There are some command line which more extensible and many plugin, called VIM. This editor not just text editor. In first attempt you will see this VIM application is only simple notepad editor in windows. This is the basic VIM without any plugin loaded. You will like VIM later on.

What a programmer want is of course some smart text editor that can help them typing faster for their code and also give many shortcut which are extensible.
Some of them are line numbering, auto completion, syntax highlighting, and many other more, which of course some professional code editor is not cheap.
With VIM, which is more extended than Vi , VIM available to many other Operating System.
Every basic feature VIM have, usually available in Vi .

My self use VIM not long ago, and start to learn it to make my coding activity even smarter and productive.
And there are millions of VIM plugin out there which can make your life easier as a programmer.
VIM Editor

One of the plugin manager I use with VIM is pathogen. It is easier to use plugin with pathogen, just drop the plugin to the folder, and it will auto load the plugin when VIM start.

I had been using Edit+, Notepad++ , and this time VIM, and I really like VIM for the job. Even you can have your own auto completion in make you type faster than ever. Try it with standard HTML snippet.

So what do you think about VIM , I like also to hear your opinion. Drop me your comment.

Next I will blog about the tools I found most productive to use. Happy VIM !

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More